Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Just one more reason to live in Alaska

Today I received my PFD application in my mailbox,
as well as a reminder from the PFD division online.

What is a PFD? PFD stands for the Permanent
Fund Dividend. A fund set up from oil revenues
which are invested and pay a dividend to each and
every Alaskan resident of more than a year. Voters
passed a constitutional amendment in 1976 to establish
the fund which began paying dividends in 1982.

When I lived in the contiguous US, I used to pay
income taxes to the state where I earned my living.
Now the state pays me just for living here. Isn’t
that grand?  

1 comment:

Ishmael said...

Yes, we all love the PFD. Sadly, and I say this as one of the few real Alaskan you know, the check has come to be treated as an entitlement and is most highly treasured by newcomers to Alaska (those who've arrived since the first PFD check).